Thursday, April 5, 2018

Exchange view DSN mail contents from queue

We had some DSN mails queueing up on our Exchange server's outgoing queue with error 450 4.7.1 and i was trying to figure out what were those mails in the first place. The Subject in all those mails looked like spam and since the From Address was empty, it got me kinda worried and curius at the same time. Using Queue Viewer wasn't helpfull since I couldn't see the origin of the DSN message. I had to use Exchange Management Shell to find out more info.

In order to view the email contents so that you can check the body and find out more information about the cause/source of the DSN, you need to know the message Identity, suspend the message's from processing and then export it.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

DNN site's search issue with index outside bounds of array

I had an issue with a DotNetNuke 7.4 site's DB size. It had grown way too big and we found out about it because of the server's warnings about low disk..
Both Exceptions and EventLog tables had three new logs (General Exception, Scheduler Event Failure, Scheduler Exception) every 30 seconds saying that the "Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Recover records after accidental cascade delete

Cascade delete in an sql table relation may sometime lead to serious data losses. Should this occur, you can make use of the log file (LDF) to review the DELETE statements that took place and hopefully manage to recover your lost data.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Move Azure blobs between containers

I finally got some time to tidy up my Azure account. The first thing I wanted to do was to bring all my vms in a single storage, gathering them from various subscriptions. In order to do that I had to copy the vhds (located in the vhds container of each storage account) to their final destination.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Cancel/Stop DiskPart full disk format

Using DiskPart to clean up hard disk partitions and MBR is fast and easy but you can accidentally invoke a full format which can take a while to finish. In that case, instinctively you would press Ctrl+C only to find that you've just killed DiskPart instead of stopping the format process.
Googling around, people suggest to kill the process using task manager (which you can't) or reboot your system. There is yet an other option, which worked for me, and no one mentioned (at least on the sites I checked).

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Converting/Exporting mixed encoding MySQL data to UTF8

I had to move an old MySQL database storing the info of a Greek website, and guess what; the default schema collation was latin1_swedish_ci and the charset latin1, the defaults of MySQL instance (which no one changes during installation) :/
The schema contained a mixture of tables, some of them in latin1_swedish_ci collation and some other with the proper UTF8 settings. Trying to export the data from either MySQL Workbench, phpMyAdmin and host's panel I was getting an ANSI encoded sql file. Normally, that's fine but if your data contains UTF8 characters (i.e. Greek letters) then you've got a problem.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Homemade certificates for the web developers

Working with the web, you will definitely end up having to generate a trusted certificate at least for your localhost. In my case, I have been working with certificates a bit more and the need of a personal CA was obviously the best solution. Moreover, I wanted to modify Fiddler's CA name to avoid having the ugly "DO_NOT_TRUST_FiddlerRoot". This post describes how I automated the certificate generation process and also mitigated the Firefox's warning about the old SHA1 hashing.